Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Interview Outfits

Since I moved to NYC I been running around the city for interviews. Since my interviews are in the fashion industry my interview outfits are slightly different and more lenient than other professions. So today I would like to share with you all what I wear to my interviews, and maybe this will give those of you who are new to the industry an idea of how to mix a fashion forward item into your professional outfits. 

I have to apologize in advance for not having pictures of me wearing the items I am listing, recently I lost the memory card to my camera.. I'm due for a new camera anyways so I'm in the process of choosing the right one. Please pardon the pictures and thank you all for your understanding!

 Stay Safe With Black

One of our closet essentials is a simple classic fitted black blazer. Throw it over a camisole, t-shirt, button down etc. and it will instantly pull your outfit together. 



Printed pants are making a comeback, I personally own this pair of J Crew cropped chino in SNOWCAT, it is absolutely my go-to pants for that perfect fitted but not tight and cropped look that I love.



On one of my first interviews I wore this outfit  -a black camisole underneath my black blazer,  paired with a pair of black suede pumps. I love these pumps because wedges are ultra comfortable, and the ankle strap helps me run around the city with easy, not fearing if my feet gets too sweaty it'll slip right out of the back (does anyone else have this problem?). 



To pull everything together, add a pop of color with your biggest accessory - bag. I am a huge fan of melie bianco; I find their products are well made for the price, the designers are on trend, so it's a budget friendly way for me to experiment with different "it" bags of the season.

I couldn't find the bag that I carried, which was  a top handle messenger bag in oxblood from Melie Bianco. When I go on interviews I tend to avoid slouchy bags, studies have shown that big slouchy bags give off the impression the individual is messy and careless. I want my future employers to know I am responsible, careful and detail oriented, so go with a structured bag. 

Even though I am interviewing with fashion oriented companies, it is still very important to keep everything professional, so I keep my jewelries minimal. Avoid bangles and over stacking on jewelries because 1.they slide up and down your wrist and 2. sometimes create too much clinging noises.  When in doubt just do what Coco Chanel said " remove the last piece of jewelry you put on". 

You can always express this season's "It" colors on your nails - Chanel: Frenzy

I keep my makeup to a minimal; avoid statement lipstick colors such as purple, black or ultra pink. Imagine yourself going on a go-see, you want your future employer to see your talent and not be distracted with what you are wearing. It is hard but fun to find ways to incorporate what you know about this season's trends into your outfits in a minimal professional way. 

That's all for today guys, I hope you found this helpful and good luck to everyone out there who are in the process of breaking in this industry!









No comments:

Post a Comment