Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Updates - LONG POST

 My view every morning



 Mr. Rocco Taco in his VIP area

 Outfit from yesterday - blues on a blue day

My version of going all out for Halloween - mini eyes on nails (featuring JNBStyle ring)

Hello all, thank you for waiting so ever patiently. I know my blog posts needs to be more consistent.. and I really thought after I moved to NYC I would be so much better at it because I'd have some free time on hand. BUT, instead of blogging I have been busy applying to EVERYWHERE for a job, and when it comes to jobs I am super picky... it has to be with a company that I see potential and have growing aspect for me as an individual. I believe if you are going to spend 8 - 10 hrs a day working 5 days a week for 50 weeks out of a year, why not find something you enjoy doing? Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to choose and pick what they like to do for a living, especially for people like my parents who are first generation of immigrants, but personally I broke out of the shell of typical Asian parents expectations for their children and I venture into what they consider to be the Hell of all career choices - Fashion. 

Ever since I was a little girl I have a vague memory of my mother always watching runway shows and each month we both look forward to her glossy magazines arriving in the mail. Me - because I wanted all the perfume sample pages, and mom wanted them for fashion inspirations.

After we moved here due to the language barrier and busy life style both of my parents lived my mom never subscribed to any more magazines. However when I turned 15 I discovered Teens and Seventeen magazines at the local library, from there I ventured into Teen Vogue, Marie Claire, Glamour and eventually Vogue. 

My mother's love and passion for clothes never died even though she was now a typical working mom from 9-5. As I grew up and understood fashion, style, different texture and materials of fabrics, prints and cuts of clothing, my parents started to worry because I would spend too much time looking at magazines and browse around on magazine websites instead of studying for my SAT. When came to college they chose Pre-Med for me as a major but with my interest in fashion I would sit in on art classes that were offered at the college instead of attending my biology and anatomy classes, when they discovered that they transferred me to a business school and started me in accounting. Needless to say I didn't enjoy that very much either.. I wrote a letter to my parents explaining to them this is not what I wanted to do and that I am more interested in something more creative, I quit that college and eventually moved to Philadelphia. After much time struggling and working extremely hard and long hours, I finally found my dream job - Buyer. I started off as a Buyer for a small upscale boutique in Center City Philadelphia, and I thank them still for giving me the opportunity because they saw potential in me and was willing to train and promote me, it is VERY important for a company (big or small) to realize your potential and give you what you deserve, or else you could be doing the same work over and over again without much progress and wasting time. That's not to say that you shouldn't put in the hard work, but make sure they know your goal and interest, and ask them clearly what you need to do in order to grow. 

Anyways, eventually I had to move here to NYC and I sent out my resume to everyone, while working and being involved with the industry on the side, either as a brand rep or work at a showroom and get involved with shows. Expect very little pay but use this opportunity to network and gain experience. I want to let all those who are starting out in this industry to know that you do it for the passion and love you have for fashion, if you do it for the money then you are in the wrong business, because unless you are extremely talented or lucky, you will have to work hard and be patient until one day you bloom. 

I am flying out to Canada tomorrow to officially sign my life over to a Canadian retail company as their Buyer in the NYC office. When I say signing my life over, I'm actually quiet serious, I expect to be on call 24-7, travel last minute, be expected to do a last minute project or email over something only I have to people while I'm out at dinner / vacation / party whatever. BUT I bloom and thrive in this kind of environment, and honestly I LOVE IT! I can't think of a better job for me, I can't think of another place I'd rather be or anything else I'd rather be doing other than THIS. 

I hope those of you who are thinking of breaking into this industry find this to be helpful.. it's a LONG post and there may be many grammar errors but I don't have the time to be proof reading this today so I apologize! Have a great weekend everyone :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment